Wed, 15.03.2017 - Thu, 16.03.2017 All day
in Novartis Learning Center Horburg
[add to iCal]
About the event
D3 (Drug Discovery and Development)
This is an interactive and group discussion course, in which participants will be assigned roles in a project team tasked with the discovery and development of a new medicine. Participants will encounter and make decisions about various scientific challenges and possible research paths. The team will choose a therapeutic area and drug target, search for potential chemical leads, optimize and progress those leads through preclinical research, demonstrate the resulting drug candidate is safe and effective in patients, advance the drug through subsequent clinical trials, and ultimately submit the drug for registration with the health authorities.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Explain and discuss unmet medical need, knowledge of mechanism, disease expansion opportunities, and other factors considered when evaluating/pursuing a therapeutic target
- Describe in general terms the stages of drug discovery and development and what activities typically occur in those stages
- Explain the contribution of different scientific/clinical disciplines to drug discovery and development
- Propose and justify key elements of decision-making studies, both pre-clinical and clinical, and recognize the importance of identifying the critical path unique to each project necessary to move it forward
- Recognize and discuss challenges a project team may encounter in their mission to discover and develop a new drug
Individuals who wish to gain an understanding of drug discovery and development, and exposure to the scientific strategies and decision-making a pharmaceutical company’s research organization may employ to develop safe, effective, and innovative medicines. A basic understanding of life sciences (biology, physiology, pathophysiology) will be assumed.
Duration: 2 full days
Number of participants: A team of 6
Interested D-BSSE students and postdocs should submit an application consisting of a one page CV and a short motivation note (200 word max.) stating why the applicant wants to attend the course.
- Send your application (PDF file attachment) by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Successful candidates will be informed, including all relevant information on program, venue, etc. after the application deadline
- Application deadline: Tuesday, February 14th, 2017
For more information please contact email@example.com
Download the event announcement here